Saturday 27 May 2017

A difficult couple of weeks


I started to feel poorly on the 9th May (the day after I flew back from Menorca) and today - the 27th May - is the first day I've felt like myself. Whoever or whatever infected me on that short return flight floored me like never before and left me feeling so weak and washed out, I took to my bed for nearly a week. Nasty recycled air!

During that time I managed only two days of work, and even then I was dosed up with painkillers the whole time. In fact, the only reason I returned to work that week was because the day after, on the Saturday, I was booked on a long-standing date with some lovely friends from the first job I had back in the seventies and I wasn't going to miss it. I don't know about you, but I never leave the house when I'm off sick from work and feel guilty if I do so. 

Anyway, by the time I got home from the reunion I was deteriorating fast with a horrible pressure in my head and eye. In fact, on the Sunday morning, I was crying with the pain. Monday morning saw DH rushing me to the GP who diagnosed a severe sinus infection and prescribed me penicillin.

So, here we are on Saturday 27 May after a horrendous week in more ways than one. Like everybody else, the news from Manchester left me traumatised and sickened. I cried over the loss of life, and the terrible injuries inflicted upon some of the people who survived. The attack seemed so shocking, and being so close to my home in Lancashire, it somehow felt so personal, too, especially as my son works in Manchester just around the corner from the arena. For some of the people in the arena that night, their lives will never be the same again, and that's what I'm struggling to get my head around.


On a happier note, however, we have a lovely, little visitor this weekend.

Meet Jasper.

Isn't he gorgeous? His mummy and daddy have gone to a wedding and asked us if we'd kindly look after him for the night. 

We've never had a dog in the house before, although my mother and father always had dogs before I was married. That, though, was almost 37 years ago!

We've been contemplating buying a dog for a while, so has our weekend visitor made up our minds? Not sure. Watch this space. 

Until next time 

Kim xx







9 comments:

  1. Love a dog in the house. So pleased you are getting back on track. What a horrid do. I found the attack particularly upsetting this time. More so than before.
    Keep getting better x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ros. I've never felt so ill, but thankfully on the mend now and our weekend visitor has been great xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you've been so poorly since coming back from Menorca, Kim :( Glad you're now on the mend though. What a very sad week it has been. I have shed tears too for the loss of young lives in particular in such a senseless act. It will take a very long time to get over for everyone. Take lots of care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Julie, this attack will stay in people's minds for a long time to come. So senseless. It can't be long until your holiday now. Have a great time and say hello to our favourite island xx

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear you've been ill, Kim. Jasper looks a gorgeous dog. I hope he enjoyed his weekend and that you're feeling much better now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Helen. Feeling much improved this weekend. Jasper's gone home now. Kinda missing him actually xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you're feeling better. We have a 'Jasper', a naughty parrot 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lizzie. Me and my hubby have been in stitches this week laughing at the antics of Jasper your parrot. The video you put on Facebook of him having a bath was great. He looks an absolute delight x

      Delete