Tuesday 28 November 2017

I'm revising the story!


Oh dear. I seem to be pondering a bit at the moment.

Whenever this happens I tend not to sleep. I have no problem falling asleep, but then  after a couple of hours I wake up and can't get back over. This is fine on the days when I don't have to go to the day job, but when it happens on a work night - like it did last Thursday - it irritates and exhausts.

And, it can't be the festive season on my mind, because apart from the food stuff my shopping is done and dusted (and wrapped) and my new story for Harlequin M&B is now complete (I'm still biting my nails awaiting a reply) so what can be bothering me?  

Well, a couple of months ago I did stumble across an old manuscript I'd submitted to Mills and Boon back in 1991 when I was 33. It got rejected, and after re-reading it, I can see the reasons why. But the story is still there - circling around my head, slithering into all the nooks and crannies in my brain and refusing to move. So, what did I decide to do this week? Yes, start it again from the beginning! Even though if you look in the body of the letter from Mills and Boon, the editor advised me not to revise that story but to start something new! Does that still apply 27 years later?


I can't remember what happened back in 1991 when I received that rejection. To be honest I can hardly remember writing the story! And, rejections hurt, of course they do, but did it hurt so much that I decided to stop writing and to stop submitting for all of that time? Oh, I know life gets in the way and we had two lively boys to bring up, but it turns out I didn't submit again to Harlequin M&B until 2015, when I got through to the last fifty of their global writing contest SYTYCW15. After that my first chapter was accepted by them, but when I submitted the full manuscript, rejected

I've also had the email from Kate Walker giving me homework for her Advanced writing course in Fishguard in February. And today, my dear friend, Andrea, who I met on Kate's course some years ago texted me with a reminder that there are a couple of writing competitions/submission opportunities out there at the moment that I really should think about.

My brain hurts.

Until next time

Kim xx

















8 comments:

  1. I would say def. worth rewriting. So much more experience and learning about writing under your belt now. Can’t waste a great idea.
    Fingers crossed for you wth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros. I’m definitely going to do it 😁 💕

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree with Ros. Just rewrite it with the benefit of experience. It will be very different now. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. You're right, it will. It is, 6000 words in! x

      Delete
  3. Hi Kim, nice to see you blogging again and WRITING AGAIN :) You should definitely rework that 1991 rejection as you've got new eyes after 27 years and the characters and story are ready to be told now. But did you notice the end of that rejection letter, refusing that particular ms but ASKING for something fresh? Why do we always see the negative and miss the positive??! Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Melissa! I've started the rewrite whilst I wait for news from M&B, but you're right though, we always look at the negative which is why I didn't submit for all that time I reckon. How are you doing my dear? Will I see you in Fishguard? xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi Kim,I'm fine thanks, and will be in Fishguard but only for one night, so looking forward to seeing you then. Keeping my fingers crossed that the news from M&B will be good :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Looking forward to seeing you too. Have a lovely Christmas. Fishguard will soon be here! xxx

      Delete