Saturday 16 January 2016

Sulking - moi?


Since the 1 January I’ve probably wished a Happy New Year to lots of different people.  What I haven’t done though is update my blog since goodness knows when.  So here we go.

As I write this, on a freezing cold Saturday in January, snow is falling - and has been now for almost four hours.  Not heavily - but steadily - so it’s getting to the stage where the view outside our window is starting to look a little softer around the edges.

So - what have I been up to since my last blog?

Well - in early December I spent a wonderful five days in Bristol holed up in a hotel bedroom.  Sounds peculiar - I know - but my DH was on a course with work - so I decided to go with him.  We breakfasted together every morning, then he took an early train to where his course was.  After that I was free to write - to get on with my second book - as yet unnamed.  During that week we also met up with a friend I used to work with - one of my very best friends.  She and her husband have gone back to their roots in Devon after spending several years in the North-West.  I don’t blame her - there’s nothing more wonderful than returning to where you were born - and I should know - as DH and I returned to the North thirty years ago after living in the South for a while.  I loved my work down there - I made life-long friends - but I was homesick - terribly.  Luckily, my DH could transfer back, so it all turned out for the best.

Anyway, I digress.  Just before Christmas my RNA NWS report came back from my reader.  In the interim,  between sending it in and receiving it back, the first chapter of my story - Tethered by Twins - had been placed in the Harlequin/Mills and Boon SYTYCW15 top 55.  I was on cloud nine, and even though I didn’t progress further in the competition, I finally felt as if my writing might be getting somewhere. Unfortunately, my reader didn’t think the same.  He or she thought there was quite a lot wrong with my manuscript.  


Devastation was not the word.  In fact - for a while - I couldn't even switch on my laptop.  My confidence plunged to an all-time low.   I’d also booked on to Kate Walker’s Advanced writing course in Fishguard in February, so straight away I cancelled my place.  What was the point of doing an advanced writing course when I couldn’t even get the basics right?

I’ll admit I sulked for a while.  Then I sulked some more.  But - eventually - after emailing Kate and other writerly friends - I’m now back on the course - and looking forward to it.  Being knocked down - Kate said - and picking yourself up - is all part of becoming a successful writer.  

As I strive towards publication - this sort of thing will happen - I know that.  But giving up is not an option, so this year I will keep on blogging - and writing - and see what 2016 brings.  

Wish me luck.

Until next time.

Kim xx


8 comments:

  1. Never give up on your dreams xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim you should be proud of yourself for getting into the Top 55 - not beating yourself up! Have faith and courage and most importantly never give up on your dream. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I've put TBT aside for the moment and working on new stuff ready for the course in Fishguard with Kate. I AM proud of myself for getting into the top 55 but the comments from the reader brought me back down to earth with a bump! xx

      Delete
  3. It's all so subjective. There must be some really strong points to have got into the 55. Read it and discard what you believe to be wrong with report. You could always resubmit same book this year to NWS. Now you are back in the swing it'll come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Ros, I could. The reader did agree the first chapter was strong but after that it went downhill! We had to submit the whole book on Wattpad so not sure how much the editors read. I've also submitted Tethered by Twins to Harlequin/Mills and Boon so waiting to hear back from them now. Getting on with other stuff at the moment so the manuscript and reader's report have been stuffed to the back of the cupboard - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased you found your courage again. And coming to the course is the way to learn what to do about those criticisms- I hope you'll go home with some ideas and ways to look at things differently. As the saying goes, success is getting up one more time than you've been knocked down. And trying and learning is the way to keep on keeping on. Believe me, I don't think I know any writer who hasn't been where you were before Christmas - but the only way to make sure you *never* get published is to give up. Looking forward to seeing you in Fishguard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks Kate, and for taking the time to comment on my blog. I'm looking forward to coming to Fishguard. Just made arrangements to travel with Vasiliki, so it's all systems go now. :-)

    ReplyDelete