Wednesday 26 October 2016

Oh, Ross Poldark, what are you trying to do to me?


It’s Wednesday - only three days have passed - but we’re all still talking about Poldark Series 2 - episode 8 - which aired on Sunday 23 October 2016. 

As a huge fan of this wonderful series, this episode shocked me greatly. And as someone who has recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure, this episode did not help! I mean - come on - only the week before hadn’t we seen Ross present Delmelza with a beautiful pair of silk stockings which he then proceeded to roll up her legs in a very seductive and sensual way?

So, why did Ross betray her? Okay, so he’d had a terrible day after losing two more men in the mine, and because of that, took the decision to close Wheal Grace for ever. Was being blinded by passionate rage after opening the letter from Elizabeth in which she told him she had agreed to marry George an excuse to do what he did?  

In fact, what exactly was going through his mind that night when he did the dirty on his wife? And correct me if I’m wrong, but after staying the night with Elizabeth, didn’t he return the following morning, with his tail between his legs, to tell Delmelza - to her face - that ‘he had no choice’?




So, what does that mean? Why did he have no choice?
  • Ross, of course, is extremely fond of Delmelza. She's the mother of his son - but he can’t help but still love Elizabeth. She was, after all, his very first love, and he’s always held a torch for her.
  • Francis is now dead (tragically drowned in the mine) so now, once again, Elizabeth is temptingly free. Could Ross not resist her?
  • Secretly, and this is what I think, did Ross think that by having sex with Elizabeth, George would then consider her soiled goods and refuse to marry her? Revenge would be his, and Elizabeth would still be around for him to call on as and when he pleased. But, looking at this from George’s POV, stealing Elizabeth from under the nose of Ross would destroy him for sure. And that is exactly what George would want.
Many of you know that my ambition is to write for Harlequin M&B, and before this episode I imagined Ross as the idea hero - dominant, good-looking, commanding and proud. Ross always had a strong (if sometimes deeply buried!) moral code, but now I'm not so sure. This is definitely a new side to him. He's certainly gone down in my estimation. I'm not sure how he and Delmelza can recover from this. 

What do you all think?

Until next time 

Kim x




2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Ross is the ideal hero, but what has he done? I'm certain he went to Elizabeth that night in desperation to put a stop to her wedding to George. Elizabeth is his first love and there's unfinished business that's been simmering for years.
    Ross & George notoriously dislike each other which makes the news even more shocking.
    Ross acted irrationally and with poor judgement, has he pushed his loyal Demelza too far? I really don't think a Ross wants to be with Elizabeth as he loves Demelza but he felt he had to do something. His feeling for Elizabeth after all the years of not thinking of her in that way while she was with Francis, suddenly exploded disasterously.
    Elizabeth is also at fault for communicating to freely with a married man plus being friends with his wife.
    What will George say? Will Demelza forgive him? I eagerly await series 3 to hear his explanation as to why he "had no choice". In the meantime he has slipped down a couple of notches in my esteem.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Rebecca. I wonder what is to come? I can't wait for the last two episodes of this series. And thank you for commenting on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete